Offering a subscription model on your Shopify store is one of the easiest ways to increase repeat purchases and customer lifetime value, but you must first find the best Shopify subscription apps to properly execute on your subscription business. Keep reading to learn about all the best Shopify subscription apps.
If you're short on time, here's a quick breakdown of our top picks for the best Shopify subscription apps for different use cases (we recommend reading the full article to learn how we came to these recommendations):
- 📈 Best for enterprise brands - 🥇 Recharge
- 👐 Best for brands leaving Recharge -🥇 Skio
- 😄 Best for customer experience - 🥇 Skio
- 🚀 Best for brands newly launching subscriptions - 🥇 Smartrr
- 🔙 Best for retention - 🥇 Smartrr
- 🎛 Best for API access & customization - 🥇 Bold Subscriptions
What’re the best subscription apps for Shopify?
Recharge is the best Shopify subscription app for brands looking to manage subscriptions on their Shopify store. Recharge boasts over 15,000 customers and offers a variety of subscription services to enable seamless recurring purchases.
Recharge Key Features 🧰
- Native Shopify app
- Sell subscriptions to your customers
- Supports all major payment processors including Stripe, Authorize.net, PayPal, Shopify Payments, in addition to credit cards, Apple Pay, and more
- Integrations with all major Shopify apps such as Klaviyo, Gorgias, Postscript, and more
- Let customers manage subscriptions
- Upsell customers and increase AOV
- Reduce churn and retain customers by letting customers skip or reschedule deliveries
- Analytics suite to track subscriptions and recurring revenue
Recharge Pricing 💵
Recharge offers two plans to manage subscriptions on Shopify: Standard and Pro.
Brands using Recharge
Skio is relatively newer to the space and is quickly becoming one of the best Shopify subscription apps on the market. They’ve filled the void with new subscription solutions that are currently unrivaled as it pertains to running a subscription business.
Skio Key Features 🧰
- Native Shopify subscription app to sell recurring subscription products
- Easily migrate from Recharge or Bold Subscriptions
- Create subscriptions, receive recurring payments, customize subscription period
- Increase conversions with a simple 1-click checkout flow (no external checkout needed)
- Functioning UTM tags
- Passwordless login creates ease of use and reduces customer support tickets
- Get new features automatically through Skio’s hosted subscription portal
- Fast-loading subscription editor
- Offer group discounts to increase customer retention
- SMS subscription management
- Integrations with Klaviyo and Gorgias
- Sample packs and trials, SKU swapping
- Reduce customer churn with ability for customers to skip or pause orders within their customer portal
Skio Pricing 💵
Skio offers one simple pricing package at $299/mo and 1% + $0.20 transaction fee for orders involving a subscription. A 60-day free trial is available.
Bold Subscriptions is one of the best Shopify subscription apps due to it’s wide array of subscription management tools for brands with Shopify stores. It offers an intuitive solution to start your subscription business and is used by over 20,000 brands.
Bold Subscriptions Key Features 🧰
- Native Shopify app
- Accept recurring payments and generate recurring revenue
- Customer portal and account
- Pause, skip, edit orders
- Recover failed credit card transactions
- Automatic recurring payments
- Customize subscription offers
- Developer tools and APIs
- SMS subscription management
- Integrations with all major Shopify apps
Bold Subscriptions Pricing 💵
Bold Subscriptions offers two pricing tiers: Core and Enterprise.
Recurpay is one of the best Shopify subscription apps because it offers robust features to help you manage your subscription program.
Recurpay Key Features 🧰
- Daily analytics and insights
- Subscription on COD (cash on delivery)
- Mixed carts
- Try and subscribe
- Customer notifications
Recurypay Pricing 💵
Recurpay Subscription App is free until your subscription program generates $100/mo.
👉 Sign up for Recurpay Subscription App here.
Smartrr is one of the best Shopify subscription apps because it offers all the tools you need to connect to recurring billing while enabling a better customer experience that drives loyalty and retention.
Smartrr Key Features 🧰
- Native Shopify subscription app
- Collect recurring payments for memberships
- Customer portal to manage subscriptions, add to orders, cancel, skip, and send as a gift
- One click subscription management via email or SMS
- Increase customer engagement and prevent churn with Smartrr’s in-house churn prevention tools
- Seamless branded checkout experience
- Vendor portal to manage subscriptions on behalf of your customers
- Business analytics for detailed insight into the performance of your subscription business model
Smartrr Pricing 💵
Smartrr offers three pricing tiers: Launch, Growth, Excel.
Upscribe is one of the best subscription apps for Shopify as it offers all the tools you need to run a subscription model on your Shopify store.
Upscribe Key Features 🧰
- Native Shopify integration
- Setup recurring billing for subscription products
- Built-in branded Shopify checkout experience
- Offer discounts, upsells
- Leverage Shopify payments and other payment gateways that suit your needs
- Create subscription boxes
- Customer portal customization
- Single page applications is faster and more responsive, and delivers a better customer experience
- Allow customers to edit their subscription intervals, billing information, products, skip months, and edit delivery dates
- Enhanced merchant portal for better customer service
- Advanced analytics
Upscribe Subscriptions Pricing 💵
The Upscribe subscription app is available in two plans: Upscribe and Recharge Pro.
Ordergroove was one of the first subscription apps to hit the market more than a decade ago and has made a name for itself as the go-to platform for direct-to-consumer brands that want to scale rapidly. The app powers subscriptions for popular brands like Birchbox, Dollar Shave Club, and Honest. Ordergroove isn’t just for huge brands, however. Brands of all sizes can use it to launch subscriptions in minutes.
Ordergroove Key Features 🧰
- Fast setup so you can start selling subscriptions in minutes
- Simple migration tool to help you move your existing subscription program to Ordergroove
- Lets customers modify their subscriptions directly from their account page
- Leverage Shopify coupon codes for subscription orders
- Display pricing for one-time and recurring orders transparently to drive acquisition
- Robust backend analytics to understand performance and data exports for further analysis
- Add one-click upsells and free shipping minimums to drive average order value
- Offer prepaid subscriptions for improved customer lifetime value (Coming soon)
Ordergroove Pricing 💵
Ordergroove starts at $15/month and offers custom pricing for large programs.
Brands using Ordergroove:
- Peet’s Coffee
👉 Get started with Shopify Subscriptions on Ordergroove here.
What're Shopify Subscription Apps?
Shopify subscription apps are software tools that allow ecommerce businesses to create recurring subscription packages within Shopify. Shopify subscription apps will collect payment and automatically bill the customer on a recurring basis. Each time the customer is billed, an order is automatically created in Shopify without the ecommerce business having to manually intervene. Most subscription apps allow customization of product offerings, order frequencies, and customer subscription management.