It's one of the most frustrating parts of selling online: chargebacks. Facing disputes – that are often without merit – can be a confusing, time-consuming, and costly process.
Luckily, there are a number of platforms on the market that can deflect chargebacks for you, working silently in the background while you focus your energy on growing your business.
If you're short on time, here's a quick breakdown of our top picks for the best chargeback management and prevention tools (we recommend reading the full article to learn how we came to these recommendations):
- ✋ Best for Fraud Detection -🥇 Disputifier
- 🛒 Best for Customer Profiling - 🥇 Signifyd
- 💳 Best for Payment Integration - 🥇 Chargeflow
- 📈 Best for Revenue Recovery - 🥇 Seon
- 💵 Best for Automatic Refunds - 🥇 Kount
- 🗒️ Best for Status Tracking -🥇 NoFraud
- 🛍️ Best for Product-Level Analysis - 🥇 Midigator
- 🛒 Best for Shopify - 🥇Disputifier
What're the best chargeback prevention and management companies? 🚀
The goal for every ecom store owner is to minimize risk and maximize profits, something the tools in this guide make it possible to do. Follow along as we tour the best chargeback prevention platforms out there, and what we like about each.
Signifyd offers elite protection against chargeback and fraud, in a way few other tools can.
Signifyd Key Features 🧰
- Real-time alerts on all questionable transactions
- Proprietary customer abuse score
- Automated chargeback recovery
- Policy creation tool
- Detailed reports around approvals and approval rates
Signifyd Pros ✅
- Chargebacks for items-not-received are covered 100%
- Protects against promotional discount and coupon code abuse
- Limits third parties reselling products without prior authorization
- Intelligent analytics like device location and email history for pinpointing legitimate fraud
Signifyd Cons ❌
- Must provide proof of shipment documentation when requesting chargeback reimbursement
- Up to 48 hour processing time for reimbursements
- Not all chargeback types eligible for reimbursement
- Limited phone support
Signifyd Pricing 💰
Signifyd has one plan available, the Standard Plan, which costs $1,500/month. This comes with a 14-day free trial.
Disputifier automates your fight against unwarranted chargebacks, saving you precious time and money in the process.
Disputifier Key Features 🧰
- Central analytics dashboard
- Automated A/B testing
- Alerts for urgent chargeback issues
- Built-in fraud detection scanners
Disputifier Pros ✅
- Prevents 90% of chargebacks through automated detection methodology
- Cuts down on the number of erroneous refunds you have to make, padding profit margins
- Generates customized dispute responses which have been optimized to result in a higher win rate
- Integrates seamlessly with your existing setup and payment processor, reading directly from your order history to take the necessary actions
Disputifier Cons ❌
- Repeated split-testing and ongoing machine learning is required to see optimal results
- The tool might occasionally misjudge the sentiment or intent behind certain statements, leading to potential inaccuracies in responses
- Add-on is required to access the fraud prevention features, separate from the core package
- Lofty claims, like being able to 10X your ROI, which is possible but not a certainty
Disputifier Pricing 💰
There is a Pay As You Go and an Annual plan. The Pay As You Go plan charges 20% of the revenue the tool is able to recover for you, while the Annual plan only charges 12%.
Chargeflow takes the hassle out of fighting fraud with cutting-edge tools that make it easier than ever to prevent chargebacks and abuse.
Chargeflow Key Features 🧰
- Automated evidence builder and response tool with ChargeResponse
- ChargeScore AI predicts likelihood of winning dispute
- Chargeflow Alerts help deflect chargebacks
- Centralized dashboard for tracking all disputes
Chargeflow Pros ✅
- Able to analyze chargebacks from multiple payment providers
- 2-click setup for easy integration
- Success-based pricing model means you only pay when claims are won
Chargeflow Cons ❌
- Payment processors that are not among the most common – like Shopify Payments, Stripe, and Paypal – not supported
- Does not always utilize signature received from customer upon package delivery, which would boost win rate
- Could do more to combat criminal fraud through communication with authorities
Chargeflow Pricing 💰
Chargeflow is free to install, and takes a 25% fee from successful recoveries.
Seon shines a light on fraud and unjustified claims, helping you generate the kind of authentic revenue you crave and minimize the costly disputes you don't.
Seon Key Features 🧰
- Auto-cancellation of risky orders
- Customizable settings and rules to fit store
- Machine learning assistance for fraud pattern detection
- Connects social profiles to phone and email data
- IP lookup for suspicious customer identification
Seon Pros ✅
- Plug and play integration, seamless user interface
- Uses more than 50 digital profile scans to verify authenticity of customers
- Filters and blocks suspicious orders without having to lift a finger
Seon Cons ❌
- Recommendations are not always accurate, not a fool-proof substitution for manual gut instinct
- Complex issues can require in-depth chat and email support
- Basic plan limited to 1,000 order checks per month
Seon Pricing 💰
Seon has three paid plans available: Starter, Pro, and Enterprise. Starter is $99/month, Pro is $299/month, and Enterprise is $999/month. There is a 14-day free trial available.
Kount is an all-in-one solution for putting a damper on revenue loss and cutting off the potential for chargebacks before they become a drain on your business.
Kount Key Features 🧰
- Customizable risk settings
- Auto-void and auto-refund
- Transparent approval decisions
- Hands-free fraud protection
Kount Pros ✅
- Decisions and results are displayed directly in Shopify portal
- No coding required to integrate with tech stack
- No interruption to checkout process
Kount Cons ❌
- Mobile app only available in advanced tier
- Setting low risk threshold could result in higher decline rate than you expect
- False positives still a possibility
Kount Pricing 💰
Kount has an Essentials Plan which is free to install with flat rate pricing of $.07 per transaction. There is also an Advanced Plan for $1,000/month which offers more customization and control.
NoFraud lives up to its name with fraud detection and screening tools. It helps you focus your attention on legitimate orders that will give you the revenue boost you're looking for.
NoFraud Key Features 🧰
- Pass/fail decision engine
- Review escalation for high-risk orders
- Blocklisting and whitelisting capabilities
- Custom rule sets
- Hourly sales activity graph
- Auto-cancellation of fraudulent orders
NoFraud Pros ✅
- You are paid back for every fraud chargeback
- Can create multiple users with different levels of access and permissions
- 24/7 help center and support team
NoFraud Cons ❌
- Some, but not all, coupon abuse can be detected
- Code installed has potential to slow site speed
- Some orders that Shopify identifies as high risk, NoFraud says are safe to ship – however this is often due to human intelligence overriding and deeming them safe
NoFraud Pricing 💰
NoFraud is free to install, with a pricing calculator based on monthly sales volume used to create a custom plan.
Midigator uses a multi-pronged approach to reduce your payment processing risks, resolve disputes, and prevent chargebacks. It gives you access to a full suite of services that deliver on its promise.
Midigator Key Features 🧰
- Automated prevention alerts
- Analytics dashboard
- Comprehensive data sync
- Real-time merchant account monitoring
- Custom notifications
Midigator Pros ✅
- Helps you pinpoint low-quality customers
- Can break down prevention alerts by product type or SKU, helping you identify common targets
- A/B testing on disputes related to different price points allows you to optimize for profitability
Midigator Cons ❌
- Limited reporting functionality
- Average win rate of 65%
- Transaction data not always accurate due to time lag
Midigator Pricing 💰
Custom, a la carte pricing is used, based on the solutions you decide to take advantage of. You must reach out to Midigator to receive a quote.
What is Chargeback Management and Prevention? 🤔
Simply put, chargeback management and prevention tools – like the seven we've highlighted here – act as a filter against illegitimate purchases and claims. Often, people dispute orders for products they in fact received, or try to make purchases through fraudulent means, which can have costly ramifications on your business.
These tools scan all the available data points at their disposal to make recommendations about how to handle risky orders, and how to respond to disputes in a way that enhances your win rate and puts your best interests first.
Benefits of Chargeback Management and Prevention? 📈
Using machine learning, data tracking, and custom rule settings, it is possible to stop common problems like fraud and abuse once and for all. By only letting genuine purchases flow through, these tools in essence pay for themselves – and make your job of running your online business a whole lot easier.
If you're a Shopify store owner with an abundance of day-to-day issues to worry about, from marketing to accounting to inventory management and beyond, the last thing you want to deal with is disputes from sales you assumed were authentic from the get-go. Chargeback tools take this worry off your plate, and free you up to grow your business the way you deserve.
Best Chargeback Prevention App for Shopify? 🛒
Disputifier is the best chargeback prevention app for Shopify because of it’s native Shopify functionality, ability to completely automation the chargeback process, and because of it’s seamless onboarding process. Disputifier works with top Shopify brands like Thesis, Doe Lashes, Immi, and more.